Castle Ellen House
Athenry, Co. Galway
The Entrance Front of Castle Ellen, Athenry, Co. Galway
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
Today near Athenry in Co. Galway there is a house known as
Castle Ellen that not only has connections with the political heavy weight, Edward
Carson but also the literary genius, Oscar Wilde. There is even a possibility
that they met here many years before fate brought them together in one of
the most famous trials of that century. Today Castle
Ellen is the home of Mr. Michael
Keaney, a man who is devoted to this house and to whom we must grateful for his
attempts to rescue it from ruin since he purchased it in 1974. While still a
work in progress today, Michael has saved this house from the absolute brink of
ruin and thus has preserved so many wonderful original features such as
decorative plaster work and joinery. If a house could be heated by the warm
welcome that it's host offers, Castle Ellen would be one of the warmest homes in
Ireland .
The owner of Castle Ellen, Mr. Michael Keaney, pictured on the front steps of his wonderful home
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
Castle Ellen is a large two
storey, over raised basement house dating from the early 1800's which is found
at the end of a meandering avenue covered by a canopy of ancient trees. The first Lambert residence in the
area, was a castle, the remains of which can be found in the grounds to the
front of Castle Ellen House, Michael has also done his best to retain what remains of this ancient structure. It is said that the house was built around 1825, however
some historians date its construction as taking place earlier in 1810. Peter
Lambert, the head of this branch of the Lambert family, at that time, found the
castle too small for his growing family and built the house to better suit his needs.
One of the first children to be born in the new house was Isabella Lambert who
would eventually marry Edward Henry Carson, an architect from Dublin , and this union would produce Edward
Carson. Isabella's brother Walter made many improvements to the estate during
his tenure which included having a range of impressive greenhouses constructed.
At this time the estate was at its peak and the grounds were made up of tennis
courts, croquet grounds and expansive gardens while the lands of the estate
extended to 3,500 acres.
Castle Ellen when it was the home the Lambert family before their departure in the 1920's
Picture ( above) Copyright Castle Ellen
|
In 1859,
the Lord Lieutenant appointed Walter Peter Lambert of Castle Ellen to the
office of High Sheriff for Galway . The
following year, in September of 1860, an advertisement appeared in the national
papers indicating that Stump Hill House and demesne in Cork was being offered for lease. People who
wished to lease this property were directed to send their proposals to Walter
P. Lambert of Castle Ellen, Galway . This
property had come in to the ownership of the Lamberts when Walter Peter Lambert
married Elizabeth who was the daughter of William Mc OBoy of Stump Hill in Co. Cork.
Walter Peter Lambert died in October 1892 in the Imperial Hotel in Tuam
supposedly he choked to death while eating breakfast. He is described as a gentleman
farmer who left an estate valued at £ 35,558 11s 5d ( which unbelievably is approximately £3.5 million in the money of today). His will was proved by his
son Peter Fitzwalter Lambert of Castle Ellen also described as a gentleman
farmer. Peter Fitzwalter Lambert married Julia Mary Hewetson in 1887 but their marriage would not
be a long one.
Peter Fitzwalter Lambert died on the 24th February in
1894, aged only 45 and left an estate valued at £10,806 10s, 7d. Peter had been experiencing ill health after
his father’s death, dying a year and a half later and five months before the
birth of his third son, William Robert. A stained glass window was erected in
the local church to his memory. An elder son of Peter Fitzwalter named William Peter was born in
1891 and inherited the estate after the death of his father. By the time of the
census in 1901, Castle Ellen is described as having 23 out buildings with the
main house comprising of 23 rooms which is owned by Mary Lambert, Peter’s widow.
The house at the time of census is occupied by five servants, the house hold
staff was made up of the cook, housemaid, kitchen maid, coachman and stable
man. By the time of the 1911 census the house is again only occupied by four
servants. In November 1907, the estates of Walter Peter Lambert (a minor) and
Julia Mary Lambert (his guardian) in the townlands of Dunkellin, Athenry and
Kilconnell in the County
of Galway were sold to
the Estates Commissioners.
The ancient castle of the Lambert's, the remains of which are found to the front of Castle Ellen
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
The Dining Room of Castle Ellen is decorated with exotic stuffed birds
that Michael has accumulated over the years
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
Side view of Castle Ellen (Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC)
|
Despite the
time that he spent in Castle Ellen with the catholic community in his early
life, his battle cry in later years was that ' Home Rule is Rome Rule' as Carson wished to retain Ireland ’s
union with Britain .
Today outside the Stormont Parliament Building
near Belfast in Northern
Ireland , stands a statue of Edward Carson which indicates the
long shadow he still casts over Irish politics. In June 1914, it was reported that despite his
efforts in Northern Ireland, it appears that Edward Carson was still fondly
thought of in Athenry, as a local Catholic farmer was heard to declare’ Ned Carson is a decent man. I take no notice
of his ranging and ranting among the Orangemen of Ulster . Sure, isn’t every
successful lawyer a bit of a play actor!’. Edward Carson obviously had great affection for the maternal
side of his family as when his first son was born in 1880, he was named William
Henry Lambert Carson, and thus ensuring the Lambert name would be carried in to
the next generation of his family.
A statue of Edward Carson found outside Stormont in Northern Ireland
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
The famous playwright and wit, Oscar
Wilde and Edward Carson's paths often appeared to have crossed many times
throughout their lives. As children in Dublin
their homes were located near each other, when in Galway Carson and Wilde were
said to have met at Castle Ellen and then they were contemporaries in Trinity College ,
Dublin . However
it was their most infamous encounter that has gone down in history. In 1895, Oscar Wilde took a libel case
against the Marquis of Queensbury, the Marquis was appalled at the nature of Wilde's
relationship with his son and had used a public forum to express his opinion.
Wilde sued the Marquis who had chosen to be represented by Edward Carson in the
trial of the century, whose every detail was picked over in the press. Caron's
skillful cross examination of Wilde, extracted all the lurid detail necessary to
ensure Wilde's case against the Marquis collapsed. Wilde was subsequently arrested and tried for
gross indecency which resulted in his imprisonment and ruin. For two men who
started life in similar circumstances, upon their death, one was celebrated
with a state funeral and the other passed away in penury. Wilde was released from jail in 1897 and
immediately left for France
where he died 3 years later, Carson's career flourished,
he became a key figure in the politics of Northern Ireland , dying in 1935 and
received a state funeral.
This image shows the expansive glass houses that once existed to the side of Castle Ellen
Picture ( above) Copyright Castle Ellen
|
There has been a lot of
discussion over the years as to what precipitated the departure of the Lambert
family from Castle Ellen. However an incident that occurred in 1920, I think,
shows the beginning of the end of the family's tenure of their ancestral home.
When Walter Peter Lambert, who inherited Castle Ellen as a minor, came of age
he joined the Connaught Rangers where he rose to the rank of Captain. After the
First World War he returned to Castle Ellen and was on extremely good terms
with his neighbours and the local community. His father, before his death, had
sold all his available land to his tenants, retaining only a small amount of
demesne lands around Castle Ellen. In early 1920, it appears that not all in
the locality were on such good terms with the then current occupant of Castle
Ellen. In January of that year, it was reported that a group of men approached the
house and demanded the land that the Lamberts still held in their possession.
Walter Peter Lambert responded that he had no land to give and owned nothing other
than the demesne around the house. Walter also informed one of the men in the
group that they actually owned more land than himself. The angry group departed
but as they did, they informed Captain Lambert that they would take his
remaining lands by force and would plough the land that surrounded Castle Ellen
up to the front door. The following day, those who worked for the Lamberts received
threats that they should cease working for them or face the
consequences, threats were also received by Captain Lambert and members of his
family. Local people condemned the attack but possibly it left Captain Lambert
in no doubt as to which way the wind was blowing. A friend of the family, Frank Shawe-Taylor of
Castle Taylor in Ardrahan was shot in March 1920 while travelling to the fair
in Galway which probably only heightened the fears of the family. It is part of
local lore that the family left suddenly on St. Patrick’s Day in 1921 and it is
possibly as a result of the unsettled times in which violence and the burning
of landlords houses was commonplace in Ireland.
Advertisement for the sale of Castle Ellen in 1921
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
In November 1921, an
advertisement appeared in the national press offering Castle Ellen and 600
acres for sale by auction on the 1st December 1921 in a Dublin auction room. The
house is described as having an entrance hall with double staircase, two
drawing rooms with folding doors and marble chimney pieces, morning room and dining
room. Also on the entry level was a butler’s pantry, gun room and store room. On
the first floor were six family bedrooms, two dressing rooms, a bathroom, two
lavatories and linen press. Servant’s
quarters in the basement extended to a tiled kitchen, scullery, pantries, dairy
and maid’s rooms. The enclosed yard consisted of out offices, garage, chauffeurs
living quarters, stables, two stalls and nine loose boxes together with a large
coach house, lofts, kennels, cart sheds, haggard, large hay shed and cattle
sheds. Also included was the large walled garden, the ruins of a castle and
tennis courts.
Now that the house was on the market, the auction of the house
contents was set for Monday 19th, December 1921. The sale consisted of antique
and modern furniture, silver, Sheffield plate,
farm vehicles, farm implements, farm horses, carts, ewes, hay, oats, straw,
turnips and potatoes. These sales were carried out under the instruction of
Captain Lambert, the last Lambert landlord of Castle Ellen. Some of the
furniture was described in later advertisements for the auction, included in the sale was an antique cellarette sideboard, a set of mahogany pillars, a claw foot dining
room table with twelve chairs and two carver chairs. The drawing room had
tapestry covered chesterfield sofas, a Sheraton writing table, Venetian mirrors
and mahogany bookcases. Walls were decorated with coloured engravings, sporting
prints and tapestries, floors were covered with Axminster carpets and around the
windows were hung damask curtains. The yards offered up a range of
items associated with a time when the horse was the king of the road which
included a Governess cart and numerous farm wagons.
A decorative capital found on a pilaster on the half landing at Castle Ellen
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
The poly-chromatic plaster work found in the entrance hall
Picture ( above and below) Copyright ICHC
|
In January 1940, Castle Ellen
appeared on the market again, this time under the instruction of the Irish Land
Commission for sale by public auction however the land associated with the
house was reduced to 66 acres. The house at this time is described as being in
excellent condition. Another fascinating glimpse in to what the interior would
have looked like is provided, interestingly the entrance hall is described as
having stained glass windows and a glass dome overhead. The grand staircase only provided access from
the ground floor to the first floor bedrooms and would have been solely for the
use of the family. A secondary staircase was discretely located to one side of
the main stairs. This plain, utilitarian stairs provided access from the
basement to the top of the house and was used by the servants. The dining room
was located near this stairs which provided access from the kitchen in the
basement. The dining room has two doors, one door allowed the family and guests
to enter from the main entrance hall whereas the second door provided access
for the servants from the kitchen.
One of a pair of entrance door to the Dining Room, this one was for the use of the servants
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
The stained glass window on the half landing
of the staircase was emblazoned with the Lambert crest and coat of arms. The
advertisement now says that there are seven large bedrooms on the first floor
with two attic bedrooms. The description of the basement is further elaborated
on from earlier advertisements, which is said to contain a kitchen, large
servant’s hall, three servant’s bedrooms, three pantries, two coal houses, wine
cellar and a single w/c. A number of years later in September
1945, four young men were sentenced to two months imprisonment for stealing
apples from the garden at Castle Ellen which was now in the ownership of Mr.
Herbert Mc Nally of Galway . In 1951, Castle
Ellen was again offered for sale described as a ‘Georgian Residence in the centre of Galway
Blazer Country, standing on 70 acres of land’. Castle Ellen was sold by a Mrs Mc Nally back to
the Land Commission, it would appear that she sold it after her husband had
died. In 1961 when the local school
was being repaired and was not fit for use, Castle Ellen was sequestered and
used a temporary school house. The house at this time was beginning to
become down and at heel as the staircase is described as not being suitable for use and there was a hole in the roof.
The advertisment that appeared in 1974 which first drew Michael Keaney's attention to Castle Ellen
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
By 1974, Castle Ellen
and 11 acres are offered for sale by public auction by the Irish Land
Commission however the house is now described as derelict. Michael Keaney
spotted this advertisement and fortunately purchased the house for sum of
£6,800. The house he now owned was badly vandalised over the previous years that it
had remained empty. Windows had been broken and lead had been removed from the
roof which allowed water to destroy the interior, rot floors and destroy
ceilings. Any fixtures such as fireplaces had been stolen and the only way to
enter the house was through a window. Over a number of years, before Michael
made the house his full time residence, he secured the external fabric which meant reinstating
the roof and windows in an effort to make the building water tight. During his
restoration, any element of architectural merit was saved and stored until the
time came that it could be reinstated. A lot of decorative plasterwork survives
in the reception rooms of the house, however the entrance hall and staircase
ceiling had collapsed before Michael's tenure. Large sections of this ceiling
survive and give tantalising glimpses of what this area of the house once
looked like. Decorative capitals of pillars remain on the half landing of the
stairs around which cling elements of the polychromatic plasterwork with its
daring red, green and gold colour scheme.
Wonderful pieces of joinery and plaster work that survive in Castle Ellen
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
|
Michael over the years has used many
ways to publicise his historic property which once involved an appearance on 'Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners - Country
House Rescue' on Channel 4. In this programme, two individuals were tasked
with de-cluttering Castle Ellen but a lot of items hold memories for
Michael so this job wasn't always easy.
Despite a few disagreements during the course of the episode, the
kindness of Michael's character couldn’t help but shine through. Today Castle
Ellen is open to the public by appointment and for special events. Michael has
also grasped the nettle of modern technology and rooms in Castle Ellen now
appear on Air B&B. I am so grateful to have
been offered an opportunity to visit Castle Ellen and meet with one of the most
engaging and interesting people whom I have encountered in the last few years. I wish Michael all the best with Castle Ellen and do hope to make a return visit in the near future.
The wonderful detail of entrance porch is illuminated in the autumnal sunshine
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
Some of the original plaster work that survives in Castle Ellen, together with a piece Michael has salvaged for reinstatement.
Picture ( above) Copyright ICHC
No comments:
Post a Comment